What to do if you LOSE your PASSPORT

lose your passport

No one wants to think about losing their passport. Chances are you don’t know what to do if you were to lose it. Even though I have never lost my own, I have shared the anxiety with friends who have and it’s uncomfortable for everyone. Here’s what you should do if you lose your passport or to avoid joining the I lost my passport crew.

If you lose your passport while in the U.S…

You will have to apply for a new passport in person and fill out a DS 64 Form which reports your passport as lost or stolen. If your lost passport is expired you will have to fill out a new form to reapply.

You can also apply for an expedited passport if you already have a flight booked within the next few days or weeks.  You will have to attend an in-person interview and have proof of travel within 30 days. Fees are higher of course. 

If you don’t plan to apply for a new passport right away you still need to fill out a DS 64 Form to report the lost or theft. You will have to apply for a new passport.

You can also call 1-877-487-2778

If you lose your passport while traveling

You should report it to the local authorities this will protect you from fraud
Contact your nearest U.S Embassy or consulate, they will have you speak to an American Citizen Service Unit Officer.

If you need to travel elsewhere before returning home you will need to complete a new application. You will be issued a temporary passport, upon return to the U.S.A you will receive a new passport.

The officer has the right to question your identity for any reason, which is why it’s important to have a digital copy or paper copy of your passport to confirm your identity and a police report in case of fraud.

To Expedite The Process:

  • You should have a copy of your passport
  • Personal Information – name, date of birth, place of birth, passport number, passport issue date, location passport was issued
  • Proof of Identity: Other forms of ID such as a driver’s license

The Embassy will verify your information through the Passport Verification system to confirm you have a valid passport. If you can’t afford to pay for a new passport you can request a travel letter. The officer will ask you to contact a friend or family member who can assist you with the application fees.  Tell them you don’t have anyone and instist on a travel letter 🙂 

#JustTravelWisdom : Having a colored digital copy of your passport and license will take the scary what if away. I personally use Evernote because I can log in from anywhere in the world from another device, and I also have the app on my phone and Macbook. Considering stashing a paper copy of your passport when traveling to countries with limited internet and printing. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By submitting this form, you are granting: Just Videlle , 1641 Nelson Ave, Bronx, NY, 10453, permission to email you. You may unsubscribe via the link found at the bottom of every email. (See our Email Privacy Policy (http://constantcontact.com/legal/privacy-statement) for details.) Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.